Dr. Emad M Guirguis
Dr. Emad M. Guirguis Cosmetic Surgeon Barrie
Dr. Emad M. Guirguis graduated from the Department of Medicine at McMaster University and completed his residency in General Surgery at the University of Ottawa. He is recognized by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons as a specialist in General Surgery, which means that he has been trained to perform surgical procedures treating both the external and internal parts of the body, such as the following:
Skin and other Soft Tissue
The abdomen and digestive system
Internal organs, such as the liver
His extensive training enables him to recognize problems for which a gynecologist, urologist, orthopedic surgeon, or plastic surgeon would normally deal with, as well as provide early management of those problems. In fact, one of the most important medical services Dr. Guirguis provides is to perform necessary corrective surgery on patients who have had complications arising from treatments performed by surgeons in other surgical fields, including plastic surgery. Addressing complications is something that he does regularly as a staff surgeon at Stevenson Memorial Hospital, where he holds privileges.
Dr. Guirguis is also certified by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) to perform cosmetic surgery. In fact, the Quality Assurance Committee of the CPSO has commented on the high quality of care that Dr. Guirguis provides.
5 Reasons Why Dr. Guirguis Is A Top Cosmetic Surgeon
- 1. Dr. Guirguis has resolved various complications that arise from surgeries and treatments performed by other doctors. As a result, he has a profound understanding of what not to do during surgery. The techniques he applies during your surgery are all designed to minimize and prevent the complications that he has seen during his 22 years of serving as a general surgeon.
- 2. Dr. Guirguis has been trained in complex surgical techniques that have been designed to not just address the concern at hand, but also minimize trauma and improve your recovery process. For example, Dr. Guirguis always makes incisions in areas of which he has direct view. Not operating “blind” allows him to know exactly where he makes an incision and positions it to avoid any unnecessary damage to veins or organs located in the area. “Blind” dissection is a common reason why complications arise during surgery and can also contribute to a lengthier and more intense recovery for the patient.
- 3. Dr. Guirguis has refined his surgical techniques so that every aspect of your surgery is designed in a way that will enable you to recover faster. For example, during your breast augmentation, Dr. Guirguis is careful to avoid any unnecessary trauma that could cause excess bleeding by performing precise dissection with direct visualization of all tissues in the target area. Trauma is reduced by keeping the amount of bleeding to a minimum, so you won’t have as an intense or lengthy recovery that is normally associated with less advanced techniques. Dr. Guirguis has successfully achieved one of the lowest rates of capsular contracture in the country.
- 4. Another way in which Dr. Guirguis helps expedite your recovery is his advanced technique of closing incisions. Dr. Guirguis uses a type of “Quill” suture, a dissolvable monofilament that is more expensive and takes a few minutes longer to apply, but reduces the risk of negative skin reactions. As a result, less noticeable scarring results.
- 5. Complications arising from a procedure performed by Dr. Guirguis are very rare, but in the unlikely event one does occur, you won’t have to be transported to a hospital where another surgeon will need to address the problem. Not only is our surgical facility fully equipped with all that is needed, Dr. Guirguis is trained to deal with any issues that may arise.
To see all the certificates and diplomas Dr. Guirugis has received, please click here.
Dr. Guirguis with local MPP Patrick Brown on a trip to the House of Commons in Ottawa for a presentation on out-of-hospital facilities.
Dr. Guirguis and Lindsay at the House of Commons, presenting to the Canadian government.
When He’s Not In His Scrubs
Dr. Guirguis enjoys a number of activities when he’s not in his scrubs. He enjoys hockey and when he’s not performing surgery at the hospital or our private surgical facility, you can find him outside playing with his kids. Dr. Guirguis is an ardent Leafs fan! He also enjoys boating, navigating the tranquil waters of Lake Simcoe. That’s one of the many reasons why he loves Barrie, calling the city home since the 1970s when its population was just 20,000.
In fact, Dr. Guirguis loves Barrie so much that he regularly performs charitable work to improve the city.
Dr. Guirguis and Darcy Tucker, fan favorite NHL player with the Maple Leafs, at a Hockey Night in Barrie Fundraiser for Royal Victoria Hospital Regional Cancer Centre.
Dr. Guirguis and Jim Cuddy of Blue Rodeo at Gilda’s Club Fundraiser fo rthe Cancer Patient Support Group.
Dr. Guirguis and the Lakeview Surgery Centre team at the Walk for Breast Cancer Cure.
Dr. Guirguis speaking at the Relay for Life for Cancer Cure to inspire Cancer Survivors.
Dr. Guirguis performing with his band, Scrubs, for Nurses’ Appreciation Week at the hospital.